There are so many activities with our region that will keep your children entertained, outside and even a little educated..
- Kuranda Butterfly Sanctuary – learn about Australia’s butterflies (make sure they wear bright clothing so the butterflies land on them)
- Science Show at Mount Sheridan Plaza 11am and 12nboon daily from Monday 3rd April to Friday 7th April
- Paronella Park – this may not seem like an obvious thing to do with children but they always seem to love hearing the story of how this castle was built by Spanish immigrant Jose Paronella.
- Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park – learn about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture. There’s plenty to keep the kids amused for hours with art and craft classes and opportunities to learn how to throw boomerangs and play didgeridoos.
- Botanic Gardens – Learn about tropical foliage at the Botanic Gardens and check out the exhibits at the Tanks precinct.
- Australian Armoury and Artillery Museum – If you’ve got an interest in the military then this is worth a visit and it is different to other attractions in the area
- Historic Village Herberton – A good destination for a history lesson as you step back in time and learn about life in the pioneering era
EXPERIENCE AND LEARN ABOUT WILDLIFE
- Have breakfast with the birds at Wildlife Habitat in Port Douglasbefore taking a tour around the rest of the zoo (they also run a Ranger program during the holidays so kids can help out behind the scenes)
- Learn to snorkel at Green Islandor the Low Isles and experience the underwater magic of Nemo’s world
- Visit the Turtle Rehabilitation Centreat Fitzroy Island and learn about the plight of turtles on the Great Barrier Reef and what it takes to rehabilitate them
FUN ‘TRANSPORT’ TRIP
- Take the Skyrailup to Kurandaand watch the rainforest below through the see through floors
- Cruise down Dickson Inlet (Port Douglas) on the Lady Douglaspaddlewheeler riverboat and learn about the ecosystem of the mangroves
- Ride around the rainforest in an army duck at the Rainforestationin Kuranda
- Spot crocodiles and birds on a Daintree River Cruise
- Try hot air ballooningover the Tablelands
- Be spellbound by a helicopter ride or scenic flight over the Great Barrier Reef
FUNTIME PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES
- Interactive Gaming Station at Mount Sheridan Plaza 10am – 2pm Daily from Monday 10th April to Thursday 13th April in centre court!
- Muddy’s Playground– this amazing and huge playground on the Esplanade is a mecca for local families and will keep your kids happy for hours
- Get wet on the waterslides at Sugarworld Water Park in Edmonton (about 20 minutes drive south of the city)
- Arts and Crafts Workshop – Mount Sheridan Plaza, make Mum a Mother’s Day Card or a bookmark.
- Swim in one of the natural swimming holesor creeks in the local area such as Crystal Cascades
- Explore all the other activities on the Esplanade including the Lagoon and bouldering park
- Plan some playtime at Figtree Playground (known as ‘The Treehouse’ by locals) located near the Cairns Ferry Terminal
- Take a daytrip to Cape Trib and join a jungle surfing tour on ziplines through the rainforest
- Try stand-up paddle boarding
Today we learned via http://travelnq.com/category/cairns/ from Travel NQ that there is an incredible amount of things to do throughout the April School Holidays.
If you would like any further information, please or visit www.travelnq.com